Thursday, December 25, 2003

Not A Creature Was Stirring...

Except me and my dogs.

Even the teething baby has finally fallen into a peaceful sleep. My husband is snoring away upstairs, even though it is only 5 pm here. He's not the sort of person who can function on long term sleep deprivation, so he's trying to assure that he will be able to get up and go to work tomorrow.

Its a bit of a boring holiday for me at the moment, but hopefully he'll just nap an hour or so and then we can watch LoTR: The Two Towers, which was one of my gifts to him (and myself, I guess...)

We had nice morning: got up, had English muffins, opened the couple of gifts still wrapped under the tree (we are two instant gratification kids-- we tend to give each other our gifts the moment they are bought, so all we had left to open were the presents my parents sent ) (and only those they wrapped-- the ones that were unwrapped were opened and played with long ago...) and then headed to church with the Boy. It was a nice service-- the church was full of babies, which makes the birth of one little baby ages ago seem so much more immediate, at least to this relatively new mom.

Mikro was amazingly well behaved, up until the point when he attempted to eat the pew, and discovered that wood is an evil substance. Much harder than the rubber teething toy he discarded in favor of the furniture biting attempt... Then he howled. At one point, we had quite the infant chorus going.

We were in a happy, relaxed mode, until we walked back in the front door and found that our dear dogs had completely trashed the house in our absence.

My husband went ballistic.

Which just scared the little dog into adding to the mess by peeing on the floor.

Which did nothing to improve dear spouse's mood.

After a major clean-up job, he calmed down and we had a quiet afternoon, until the Boy started screaming inconsolably. At which point we discovered one sharp white little tooth cutting its way through his gums in the top middle. At least that explains his attempt to eat the pew. Poor little guy finally nursed down for a nap, and I now have the first chance in almost a week to update my blog. I haven't even had a chance to read anyone lately!

Let's see-

Saturday we went to a mall. Yes, we are insane. Kev got me a new cell phone to replace our broken one, and upgraded us to the family plan so he could have a phone of his own. He was at the kiosk so long I had a panic attack because he was supposed to meet me in Sears, and he was waaaaay late, and I wandered the whole mall looking for him. To make matters worse, he had the diaper bag, and I had the Boy. I finally thought to check back at the cell phone place (he was supposedly seconds away from being done an hour before, when he urged me to go off and shop and meet up with him at Sears...), and he was still there, and another half hour away from being done...

Sunday is a blur. I think we cleaned the house, laid rubber tile around for Mikro's benefit, and wrapped presents.

Monday afternoon, Mikro's godmother stopped by and watched me decorate our tiny little Charlie Brown fiber optic Christmas tree with homemade spiral solstice ornaments. Monday evening the Crazy Artists stopped by and we exchanged gifts. They were very impressed with how much Mikro has grown, and all of his new tricks. He's crawling like a champ, and pulling up, and cruising. His newest form of entertainment is to crawl over to the baby gates, stand up, and dance.

My parents were supposed to come visit Monday, but cancelled because my Dad has a bad cold.

Tuesday was my SSDI hearing. Stress city. Kev went with me. At first, they made me go in alone, which I really didn't want to do. Then Kev was allowed to come in and testify for me. We left there and went across the street so I could get a cup of tea and calm my nerves. We wound up eating at a Subway's and feeding Mikro solids there. There was a really cool toy store, called Educational Warehouse, right in that minimall, so we went looking for some last minute Mikro-pleasers. While we were there, my usually fairly unmushy husband says: "I really must love you an awful lot. I was so worried about you when you had to go in there alone." and gives me a huge bearhug.

Mikro made out like a bandit, and so did I at the Office Max, where Kev bought me a laser printer. (Mine is seriously screwed up and probably soon to completely expire.)

Then we went home and cleaned up for my MIL's impending visit.

Christmas Eve, Kev's buddy J drove up here with Kev's mom. We had a really nice day, listening to Christmas carols, talking, going out for dinner, and watching our little guy flirt with his grandmother. He got to tear up his first wrapping paper. Of course, as soon as a strip of paper came off in his hand, he lost all interest in the present and focused on the amazing paper strip...

I am starting to think that my husband and son have the right idea for how to spend the rest of the afternoon. A nap sounds really good. But then, I probably will just stare at the ceiling, unable to sleep...

Uh oh. I hear a dog raiding the garbage... Gotta go.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: