Friday, December 19, 2003

Pax Maternal

Last night my Mom (who hasn't talked to me in two days) calls my husband to ask him what laptop I've been drooling over (my current model is a $40 wonder from Goodwill with a 4MB hard drive, barely running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and Wordperfect 5.1...). She ends their conversation with: Tell her to call me if she's not too mad at me.

In my family, that is as close to an apology as you get.

So, of course, I called her, because I missed her way too much not to, even though nothing really got resolved and probably never will...

We just pretend nothing happened.

My mom and I have a little ritual. Ever since I got married and moved away, neither of us have anyone to share a pot of tea with. So every day I make tea, call her, tell her to do the same, and we share a cuppa across the miles. I am glad she's talking to me again!

Once I throw a load of laundry in, I'm going to brew up a pot of the new Assam loose tea I got last night and call my mother.

No comments: