Friday, December 05, 2003

Snarkiness and Bright Spots

We are expecting a foot of snow later today. I wonder what Mikro will make of it?

My dad is at the doctors because of a drug interaction problem, which has me & mom scared.

Kev and I had a super snarky night last night. I did him a favor and cooked dinner and all he did was bitch. He's super pissed at the dogs, who are raiding the garbage and counter surfing and otherwise making known their displeasure at the marked decrease in attention they have received since Mikro's birth. So he takes it out on me. Factor in the additional detail that the boy never ever napped yesterday, and is now in the lovely separation anxiety phase, and I was pretty much ready to snap to begin with, without the spousal snarkiness supplement.

Not a good night in our happy home...

Today my mom and I are snarking at each other, because I feel constantly subtley criticized for my parenting choices. Especially co-sleeping and continuing to breastfeed, and not loading him up with jarred baby foods. I tend to snap back at her about other, very stupid things.

Like the Santa pictures. Neither Kev nor I are really hot to brave huge crowds to get second rate photos of a purple faced screaming baby with a pathetic looking store Santa. We were going to set up a backdrop, dress him up as an elf, or just in cute holiday attire, and take far better quality photos than what I expect from a mall Santa photo op. But we are horrid benighted parents for denying the experience to our seven month old, and denying the silly campy photos to his grandparents.

I finally relented and said I would do the Santa gig on the Wednesday mall trip with my college buddy. But then my mom tries to direct me as to what store I should got to, etc. And it just annoyed me and I snapped. I will go, scope out the mall, and pick a reasonable place, if the line doesn't go till the middle of next week. Let's just leave it at that!

She says I get nasty.

I feel guilty, because I know I get sarcastic and snippy when I feel like I am being treated like a child or an idiot (or an idiot child).

This is not the holiday spirit I was hoping for.

Of course, I can't even mention our odd and ecclectic Solstice/Christmas traditions without pissing off my thoroughly traditionalist Christian parents...

So the holidays are an exercise in eggshell walking.

But there are bright spots:

My sweet son's smile.

My upcoming Christmas shopping outing with one of my oldest dearest friends, next Wednesday (weather permitting).

The goofy antics of my two dear dogs (even if they are behaving like turds lately.)

My kitties.

A good cup of tea here and there, as the howling baby permits...

Sigh.

Speaking of which... He's screaming now.

He hasn't let me have ten minutes to catch up on my blogging buddies all week!

Gotta go.

No comments: