Wednesday, March 10, 2004

We Don't Need No Education -or- A Freak Like Me

I figured out another reason why my mother pissed me off so much yesterday.

Earlier in the day, I had mentioned to her an argument that Kev and I had over the weekend, and she used what I told her to push the same button that he had to hurt me.

REWIND:

Over the weekend, I was reading the current issue of Mothering magazine, which has an article about Waldorf education. It was interesting, and I wanted to learn more. So I did an Amazon search on books about Waldorf for preschoolers, and homeschooling as well.

Not because I have made any decisons whatsoever about Mikro's education, other than that I will see to it he gets the very best possible.

In fact, I rather hope he goes to our local public school, for which we are paying astronomical school tax, because it will mean I get a part of the day back to devote to my artwork. But if I find out he will not be well served there, then I will do whatever is necessary, including homeschooling.

So I found a bunch of books to start doing some research on different educational philosophies and methods, because I know I am woefully ignorant on the topic.

My husbands reaction? To blast me for being ridiculous: Really, Chele, this is overkill. He's only a year old (not quite), so why do you want to do this now?

Why? Because I think there is alot to learn, and I want to be able to make informed choices about his education. I want to understand all the options.

For which I get: FRANKLY, ALL THIS TALK ABOUT ALTERNATIVES IS SCARING ME. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO TURN HIM INTO A HERMIT LIKE YOU.

Which I hear as, you are going to turn our kid into a freak just like you.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I am talking to my mom and tell her what Kev said, and how much it hurt me, as someone with my disabilities, never suspecting that, just a couple hours later, she would throw it back in my face.

So at the moment, I am not planning on calling my mother today. Because I just can't stand this kind of hitting below the belt.

My husband and I worked it out. He apologized for making me feel like a freak, and we compromised a bit. I bought maybe half the books I was planning on buying about early childhood education.

My parents and I have alot of philosopical differences. They constantly make remarks like: Oh my God, you're such a hippy! I don't know where we got you!

Sometimes their narrow mindedness really surprises and disappoints me. But, unlike them, I never resort to ridicule and name calling. I just chalk it up to their being products of a different time, and let it go.

I know there is no convincing them that the things I believe in (extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, tolerance and respect for all people regardless of our differences) are valid.

I just wish they would return the favor and live and let live, instead of trying to convince me that I am a stupid naieve child who should blindly adopt the sometimes questionable wisdom of her elders.

In thirty eight years, they haven't figured out that I think for myself.

That's pretty sad.


No comments: